Saturday, February 26, 2011

Let Me In

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Let Me In - 1 out of 5

What can I say about this American remake of Let the Right One In? What can I say to sum up the film other than the fact it produced the same reaction I had after I saw the original? What single word can best sum up this film? I know: Boring.

I'm getting really tired of a lot of things in the movie industry and this film pretty much includes much of that. For one, it's a remake, that already hurts the film but it's a remake of a vampire film and the vampire genre has been drilled dry thanks to Twilight. (Not that the genre was that good to begin with.) But when you are beating a genre that has long ago been a dead horse--even if it's a remake--try to be original. This film doesn't even do that. It is, for the most part excluding a few small changes, it is a shot-for-shot remake of the original film including everything bad about it: Bland acting and a boring story about a young vampire girl who befriends a bullied little boy. This movie is geared to the point I actually started questioning if its intentions were to put me to sleep.

The film is dimly lit and the music used is a step BELOW a lullaby as it consists mostly of just a man who, it sounds like, is just using one finger to go up and down the keys on a piano. And when you add this to a story that barely has a pulse (vampire pun intended), I dare you not to fall into slumber land. I realize these two aspects were used to create atmosphere but they weren't working properly as, even in the middle of the day, I felt my eyelids getting heavy. In fact, the only reason you won't fall asleep is the few scenes where the film itself wakes up and delivers something that is suppose to resemble substance. But even this scenes are ruined thanks to shitty special effects--or maybe vampires are suppose to turn into cartoons when they are killing someone.

The only real upside to this film is that the acting is slightly better than the original. Casey Jones (Elias Koteas) and Richard Jenkins both deliver their part extremely well but they are too good to be in this movie. Even Chloe Moretz (Hit Girl from Kick-Ass) has proven to be too talented to be in this boring piece of crap. The little boy from The Road stars as the young boy that wins the heart of the vampire Abby (changed from Eli in the original) and, surprisingly, he is ACTUALLY BETTER than Kare Hedebrant, who portrayed the young boy in the original. Which isn't saying much because all Kare did in the original was barely deliver his lines as he stood with his mouth gaping open like a whale screening for krill.

In the end, like all remakes, this film isn't worth the time nor was it worth the money spent to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.