Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Kids Are All Right

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Kids Are All Right - 3 out of 5

I don't often agree with The Academy--especially when it comes to the category of Best Picture. Often I find the movies they pick to be overrated and are movies that, if they can be enjoyed, are only enjoyable to watch once and never revisit. This is the case with The Kids Are All Right.

The acting is great but that shouldn't come as a surprise when you have Annette Bening, Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo in it (I'm still not happy he replaced Ed Norton as The Hulk in The Avengers). But the story is kinda weak and feels stretched thin as it lacks the depth needed to make it to a featured length film. The story centers around a lesbian couple (played by Bening and Moore) who have two children from a sperm donor. When the children seek out the sperm donor (played by Ruffalo) he turns their world upside down as he starts to have an affair with Moore's character. There is it, that's the story and I felt there just wasn't enough going on to stretch this film out to a 106 minutes and I certainly don't believe it deserves a Best Picture nomination as the story isn't stellar enough or the acting great enough to give this that coveted title. The only thing this movie really has going for it is that Julianne Moore continues her streak of being the ugliest crier in motion picture history.

I know I sound scathing in my review but all in all, The Kids Are All Right is decent. That's all there is. The film isn't terrible and it won't wow you. Chances are, if you're like me, you'll watch it once and say, "That was okay," and never watch or think about it again because there's just nothing memorable about the film. It's like facts going into Bill O'Reilly's ear, it goes in and comes out the other end, leaving nothing behind to think about. However, unlike Bill O'Reilly, this movie doesn't make me slap my palm to my face or make me want to put a foot through my television.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.