Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Max Headroom: The Complete Series

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Max Headroom: The Complete Series - 4 out of 5

It's been a long time since I've watched this ground-breaking cyberpunk show about television reporter Edison Carter who was involved in a accident that, through a series of events, put a digital copy of his memories and personality into a computer and ended becoming Max Headroom. After revisiting it after all these years, I was shocked to discover how truly ahead of its time it really was. The commentary made about the media, obsession over television, advertising, and even religion was nearly dead-on as many of the comments it made on these subjects have come true in one way, shape or form.

The acting is great, the stories are interesting and despite the fact that the special effects were limited due to the time period, the future they showcase is something that I have no doubt could possibly come true. The future, if you can look past that it was the 80's prediction of what the future was, you'll notice that a lot of the stuff going on in the show is happening now. For example, the show has a heavy emphasis on society's obsession with television that, in one episode, a housing complex collapses and people are scrounging to save their TV's. Tell me that wouldn't happen nowadays with people's obsessions with HDTV's and plasma screens. Hell, I don't even own a nice TV but if I did, I would be tempted to save it from a house fire.

The show also discusses censorship and a network's control over society as, in the series, elections are handled by television networks and the network executives control what they want their viewers to see and/or believe. Sounds a bit like Fox, eh? Like I said, the show's predictions of the future were disturbingly accurate.

I've always been a fan of the character of Max Headroom and, more importantly, the character actor Matt Frewer who pulls double duty playing both Headroom and Carter. So, I was slightly disappointed that Frewer was mysteriously absent from the special features on the DVD. I would have loved to hear what he had to say about the iconic character of Max. But despite his absence, this DVD set still has all the episodes from the two seasons this show ran (and was, unfortunately, canceled due to idiots watching crap like Dallas and Miami Vice) so lackluster special features aren't really that detrimental. If you were a product of the 80's, know who Max Headroom is or really enjoy futuristic dystopia fiction, check this show out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.