Thursday, December 2, 2010

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Original Series Season 5

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Original Series Season 5 - 3 out of 5

If I wasn't a HUGE fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I would have given this show a lower rating but because this original series is what delivered the turtles to my door, I can't completely hate it.

Like most cartoons from my childhood, this show does not stand up to adult scrutiny. I try to keep in mind that the original TMNT series was made during a time when animation was not taken seriously and children's entertainment wasn't something considered in the terms that it could also possibly entertain adults or had to have quality behind it. The sad reality is the original turtles series was filled with awkward animation that had many MANY continuity errors (a problem that plagued a lot of children's cartoons back in the day), over the top voice acting and mediocre storylines filled with bad jokes. Eventually, this problem was realized and cartoons have never been the same as they are taken seriously as a form of entertainment on both a technical level and enjoyment level for both child and adult.

Watching this series as an adult, the first thing you notice is the constant mistakes that occur in every episode such as characters will suddenly change clothes from scene to scene. Even bigger mistakes occur in the voice acting department as the voices of characters like the Shredder and Splinter will change from episode to episode, depending on which voice actor was available that day. There are even scenes where one turtle will be talking but the wrong voice will be behind be coming out the mouth. As a child, I may not have noticed this but now I do.

Despite the low quality that is seen on the technical side, including the redundant breaking the fourth wall jokes that stink up every episode, it's hard for me to hate on this show because, without it, I never would have discovered the comics and realized how badass the turtles really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.