Monday, November 29, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Sorcerer's Apprentice - 4 out of 5

I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. The trailer sold me and I expected a fun popcorn movie but when I sat down to watch it, I was very surprised at how much I was digging the film. This movie is just pure fun!

Loosely based on the Fantasia short featuring Mickey Mouse, one of Merlin's apprentices; Balthazar, recruits a nerdy young man to help him stop his arch-nemesis; Maxim Horvath, who is trying to resurrect the evil and powerful Morgana. What follows is, and I shall apologize for the pun now, MAGIC! Great sorcerer battles ensue and fantastic humor is what follows thanks to director Jon Turteltaub (director of the National Treasure movies--another Nicolas Cage/Disney property I am a fan of).

Nicolas Cage plays Balthazar and does so very well. Cage gets a bad rap from a lot of people because he does some bad movies (Bangkok Dangerous) and does some TERRIBLE movies (Wicker Man). But he's done A LOT of movies I really enjoy him in. For example, I already said I was a fan of the National Treasure movies but Cage has also been in Adaptation, Kick-Ass and Lord of War--just to name a few. He does great movies and, I don't care what the haters say, I am a fan of Nicolas Cage. And to those who say he's a bad actor, let me ask you this...Do you think Sam Worthington is a good actor? At least Cage doesn't try to growl his lines or poorly cover up an Australian accent when acting. Plus, Cage has been in good movies--Worthington has yet to obtain that achievement.

Jay Baruchel plays the young nerd Balthazar recruits and, like Cage's performance, does so very well. If only he played the lead in She's Out of My League the way he plays the character of Dave in this movie, that lame romantic comedy could have deserved a score in my book higher than 2. Occasionally, he does get annoying as he is constantly yelling "NO" and the such during action scenes and the really great car chase but his character is charming enough that it's not enough to take me out of the movie. In fact, Baruchel plays the role so well that when the big reveal occurs that he is "the one" (something you know from the get go but it really wasn't suppose to be a surprise), I actually got goosebumps--silly, I know.

Playing the role of the evil sorcerer out to resurrect the terrible Morgana is Alfred Molina and, let's face it, the man is great in every role he plays and it was no surprise that he delivered quite well as the elegantly arrogant summoner, Maxim Horvath.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a summer popcorn movie. It delivers well on the fun and entertainment scales. It's a great movie to just sit back and have a good time with. The action is great, the humor isn't dumb and the story is terrific. And how can you not love the mop scene from the original Fantasia short being incorporated?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.