Friday, November 5, 2010

The Office (BBC) Season 2

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Office (BBC) Season 2 - 5 out of 5

Had this show NOT returned for the special, this could have been a perfect ending to the series but the show came back with the special and seemed to create an even MORE perfect series finale...I didn't realize that could be possible until I watched this show.

If you read my review of the first season, I openly admit I feel this version--the original version--was vastly superior to the American version. The biggest reason for this (aside from the humor and acting is better in the BBC version) is the fact the BBC has artistic integrity and knows when to end a show, rather than push it on until it becomes a piece of crap, a practice found far too often in American television. This season (with much thanks to the amazing talents of the show's writers, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant) builds terrifically and ends with both humor and raw emotion (you really get to see Gervais show off his talents as an actor in the final episodes).

This season was a great continuation of the working elements from season one and it built upon the foundation of quality to built something entirely amazing. Watching this season, you realize why this was the first British comedy in 25 years to win a Golden Globe and why Gervais won for "Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Series: Musical or Comedy." Honestly, if you like the American version, you'll love the British original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.