Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - 2 out of 5

I'm not the biggest fan of remakes. I feel they hurt the industry by showcasing the complete lack of creativity that is littering the media nowadays. Personally, I believe that if the desire comes up to remake a film, Hollywood should, instead, re-release the original. Spend some cash that would have otherwise gone to the horrible (and they're always horrible) remake, to clean up the original so it looks brand new and then unleash it back into theaters for a limited time. First off, it would be more profitable because the studios are spending less on creating the project and it would be nice to see some classics on the big screen. However, this will never happen. Hollywood will keep raping the memories of great movies by remaking great films and striping away all the things that make the original what it is.

Like Friday the 13th and Halloween, another great horror film classic got the raping--excuse me--remaking process done to it and, just like other remakes of horror film classics, it turned out weak. However, remaking A Nightmare on Elm Street became something of a conflict for me. I enjoy the original franchise very much--not because I find it particularly scary (because it's not) but because I love the character of Freddy Krueger. I've always found him to be an EXTREMELY entertaining horror film icon who really hit his stride when the cheesy one-liners and gags were added to the franchise. Further conflict came because of my hatred for remakes and the casting of Jackie Earle Haley. I am a HUGE fan of Haley and I'm glad that his career has been resurrected. So, here I am, I hate remakes but love the character of Freddy Krueger. I like Jackie Earle Haley but love Robert Englund as the character because he set the bar quite high in his portrayal.

But like all films, I gave this one a shot.

Sadly, like all remakes, it doesn't live up to the original.

Like most films, casting problems are identified right off the bat as thirty year old actors are portraying high school students. This is actually quite amusing as one of the girls has quite a few lines on her face and it makes me wonder why the filmmakers would think, for a single second, that I would believe she is still in high school. Another crime would be casting the poor man's Robert Pattinson, the man who actually looks like the illegitimate child of Edward Cullen and Bella from Twilight; Kyle Gallner. Gallner spent the whole movie acting like he was training for an upcoming competition that involved looking either nauseous or pouting (hence my theory he is actually the child of a sparkling vampire and an emo teen from a terrible book series). These elements can be quite the distraction in a film that is suppose to keep you on the edge of your seat and frightened.

However, not all the casting choices were terrible. Haley did a decent job of being the new Freddy. While at times he seemed like he was trying to be Englund, he did do a very decent job and was one of the only entertaining parts of the film. Another great casting decision was having one of my personal favorite character actors in the world; Clancy Brown. This man has been in some of the best movies that have ever been created, he's a fantastic actor and he's the voice of Mr. Krabs in SpongeBob SpuarePants for crying in the mud.

For a horror film, however, this movie can't deliver a scare to save its life. Although some sequences are genuinely creepy, the film often lost me as it would attempt a cheap scare (a horror film staple) that would come off poorly executed and, often, laughable. Bad editing throughout the film also had a habit of harming these cheap scares and the creepy elements the film contained. However, the biggest wound that occurred in this film would be the use of CGI elements. In my humble opinion, all effects in a scary film should be practical because if it looks real, it's easier to scare the audience. A computer generated wall made to look like Freddy is pushing his way through too easily takes me out of the film and, besides, it just looks absolutely silly.

Overall, this film had more things working AGAINST it, than for it and once again proves that remakes are NOT the way to go Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.