Friday, October 22, 2010

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal - 5 out of 5

I love the Discworld! Terry Pratchett's books are some of the best written and most entertaining stories I have ever experienced. His words create a world so detailed that you don't really need a film adaptation to get a visual of what he's created...but it doesn't hurt to have one--as long as they are done right.

Previously, The Color of Magic and Hogfather were given the live action treatment on Sky1 in the UK. Both previous adaptations captured the Discworld (and Pratchett's humor) very well and I was very excited when I found out that Going Postal got the live action adaptation treatment. (I really like the character of Moist von Lipwig.) And, despite it not yet being available on DVD, I was able to watch in on the wonderful little invention of Al Gore's, the internet. I must say, I really enjoyed the experience.

Going Postal focuses around Lipwig, a con artist, who is forced to pay for his crimes by becoming the new Postmaster General at the Ankh-Morpork's (the Discworld's largest city) post office. It was either that, or be executed. The following story sees Lipwig compete to resurrect the nearly extinct postal service against the more modern clacks service (the Discworld's answer to the telegraph).

Like the other Pratchett adaptation, Going Postal wonderfully captures the world that rests upon the back of four elephants that stand on the Great A'tuin (if that makes sense to you, you are already familiar with Pratchett's work. If you are confused, pick up The Color of Magic, you'll thank me for it). The actors all play their parts perfectly, especially Richard Coyle (Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time) who portrays the character of Lipwig like he was born to play the part. Another highlight is getting to see Andrew Sachs play Mr. Groat. Sachs is most famous for his portrayal of Manuel in Fawlty Towers. Literally everything about this adaptation is done very well, right down to the realistic sets and the great looking costumes. Even Mr. Pump, the golem, is done incredibly well.

If you're a Pratchett fan, chances are you've already seen or have plans to see this. If you're not, I suggest you watch Hogfather and The Color of Magic first to get a taste of the Discworld (plus Death is in those two and Death is one of Pratchett's best characters) before you come to Going Postal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.