Monday, October 18, 2010

Party Down Season 1

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Party Down Season 1 - 4 out of 5

A TV show about people working a crummy day job (in this case a catering business called Party Down) while they struggle to achieve their dreams? I'm sold. And I can relate.

Like many shows, Party Down takes a couple episodes before it hits its stride and find its place and voice. The first two episodes are basically carbon copies of one another with similar jokes just placed in a different situations. However, after this, the show becomes quite entertaining as the characters starts to develop.

The cast is wonderful filled with some very talented people including Glee's own Jane Lynch, Adam Scott, The State alumni Ken Marino, Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr (Freaks and Geeks) and Ryan Hansen. All these actors play wonderfully off each other. And it is in this interaction is where the best jokes of the show come from. Yes, there are some great gags about misunderstandings and silly things happening with the people at the social gatherings they cater but the interaction between these main characters is definitely the show's humorous highlight.

The only real low point this show had was the fact Jane Lynch left the show after nine episodes to work on Glee. In my opinion, not the best move but this comes from the fact that I don't find Glee to be a very entertaining show. It's filled with cliche high school drama and weak writing and they use music to hide these facts. And it seems to work seamlessly as the music is the only thing people seem to talk about when it comes to Glee. Look how excited people got when it was announced they were going to do a Rocky Horror Picture Show episode. They don't get that excited about the story, just the music. I wished Jane had stayed with Party Down because I'm sure going to miss her when I visit the second season.

Overall, this is just a fun show and I can't wait to start up the next (and sadly, final) season of this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.