Friday, October 1, 2010

Moral Orel Season 2

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Moral Orel - 5 out of 5

Sadly, only the first season was released on DVD but thanks to the internet, I've been able to revisit the episodes from this season and season 3, both seasons I missed when it was on-air. If you are highly religious (any religion) there's a very real possibility that you would be offended by this show because it is HIGHLY critical of the Christian religions, especially Protestants because Orel and his family are Protestants. As an atheist, I agree with ALL the points this show makes and, I believe, makes the show even more amusing to me. So, if you are very devout and lack a sense of humor with your beliefs, this is NOT a show for you.

The animation is done in a tradition stop-motion, clay style that spoofs Davey and Goliath. The animation is superbly well done and compliments the fantastic writing and voice acting perfectly.

This season also spotted a slight change in the formula every episode has when compared to the first season. The change isn't drastic but can be noticeable. One of my complaints from the first season is that every episode seemed to follow the formula of this: Orel misinterprets a sermon from Reverend Putty, hilarity and insanity in the city of Moralton ensues and Orel is taught a lesson by his spankin' father in the ominous study. This season breaks from this formula as Orel learns more lessons to screw up from various other citizens from Moralton and, often, episodes will revolve around these citizens. With this new formula, rarely are episodes ended with Orel's father spanking him in the study. In my opinion, this made for more entertaining and engaging episodes.

Overall, this season builds perfectly on a concept that was already fantastic and it even goes a step further by ending on a very dark--VERY DARK--scenario at the end. I look forward to finishing up the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.