Tuesday, October 5, 2010

MacGruber

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

MacGruber - 5 out of 5

I don't watch Saturday Night Live and was pretty much unfamiliar with the character of MacGruber but the trailer sold me the possibility of a great comedy...and it was right.

The gags in this movie are brilliant as they range from fantastic satire of the 80's action scene and various film cliches to gross out humor and it even mixes in just enough toilet humor--not a lot, just enough to keep it from becoming a generic fart comedy. Even jokes about editing and the movie's soundtrack help keep this one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile.

Will Forte is just hysterical and, very surprisingly, so is Val Kilmer. Ryan Phillipe doesn't have much of a screen presence and just seems to be more of set decoration but he's never distracting and, on a few occasions, does a good job as the straight man to Forte.

There's really not much else that can be said about this movie. The technical aspects are done really well but the humor is what it's all about and this movie delivers it well. A lot of people will write this movie off as it isn't politically correct and sometimes offensive. Many will write it off as pure trash with bad jokes but, in my opinion, those who say that, aren't catching many of the really witty pokes this movie takes at the action genre and movies in general. The bottom line is this movie is just plain funny. From beginning to end, I was laughing really hard and even teared up and ran out of breath from the bombardment of jokes that came flying at me. If you like a good laugh, give this one a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.