Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Leaves of Grass

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Leaves of Grass - 3 out of 5

It's not hard to miss the influence Tim Blake Nelson got from the Coen brothers in this little tale of two twin brothers--both complete opposite of each other--getting into some trouble with a small town drug lord. Violence and dark humor is all over the place and very reminiscent of much of the Coen's work but Nelson doesn't deliver it to the screen as well as the brothers do.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate this film but I didn't love it either. Ed Norton plays the brothers and I'm a big fan of Norton (despite him doing The Illusionist--we all make mistakes). He does a great job of playing both brothers and is able to convincingly perform the differences that make up the brothers that when you look at the screen, you're not seeing two Ed Nortons, you're just seeing two twin brothers. He even does a great job when the brothers have to imitate each other. His performance is so good, it reminds me of Adaptation where Nic Cage had to play a pair of twins (and did it well. I love that movie).

The only real problem that comes from this movie is its inability to stick with a certain tone. The entire film changes moods at the drop of a hat like a teenage girl hitting puberty. Taking into consideration that Nelson is still very young in the directing and writing department, it's clear he is still trying to find his voice, so I can forgive the problems that come with the story.

While this isn't a tremendous film, it does offer up a little entertainment. If you happen upon this movie, it won't hurt to check it out but I don't recommend searching it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.