Friday, October 22, 2010

James and the Giant Peach

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

James and the Giant Peach - 3 out of 5

I remembering reading this book in school and loving it. I also remember watching the adaptation and loving that as well. But, as I've learned, sometimes the memories of things are better than revisiting what made those memories great. However, this wasn't the case with James and the Giant Peach. It's just as good as I remember.

But now you're asking yourself this: Rev. Ron, if you liked it so much, why did you only give it a 3?

Good question. I didn't think this movie was fantastic but it wasn't terrible either. It's middle of the road. It's...okay.

The animation is just awesome and when you combine the great stop-motion animation with the live action sequences, you have a very creative movie that is able to translate the whimsical story of a runaway boy flying away on a large (you guessed it) peach with some giant insects. Which, when one thinks about it, is no easy feat. Add in some great voice acting on the bugs (including the very hot Susan Sarandon, Richard Dreyfus, Simon Callow and David Thewlis), a very talented little boy playing James (Paul Terry) and, a very VERY talented individual, Pete Postlewaite playing the mysterious Old Man/Narrator and you have a fun movie.

While this movie doesn't blow me away like other family friendly films (like How to Train Your Dragon or anything from Pixar) it is still a great movie that adults and children can enjoy together without the adult feeling like their intelligence has been insulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.