Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Human Centipede (The First Sequence)

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Human Centipede (The First Sequence) - 4 out of 5

I need to thank G4 for hyping up this movie for me. There were quite a few segments on Attack of the Show featuring this movie and I thought, "Hmmm, this seems like an original concept for a horror film. I must see this when I get a chance." And I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I'm not the biggest fan of horror films because most of them are weak and poorly put together but the idea of a mad scientist attaching three people to become (wait for it) a human centipede sounded like something that could either be pretty cool or really dumb. I found it to be quite interesting. Although the beginning of the movie travels dangerously close to horror film cliche territory, it takes a sudden sharp turn into something all together different. The film is never outright scary but it is definitely creepy and there was one scene that had my heart racing as the peril these three people are in becomes apparent.

One of the film's biggest highlight was Dieter Laser who played the mad scientist. His performance was hypnotic. He was so flippin' creepy and played his part so well that it made the film feel real. Sadly, however, the other actors don't match up to Laser and while their acting isn't terrible, it isn't the best either.

Although the movie loses a little of its momentum as it starts to unwind at the end, the movie was still very disturbing and unsettling in a way that few scary movies are able to accomplish in this day and age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.