Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Discworld: Soul Music

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Discworld: Soul Music - 5 out of 5

I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld. I love the stories and characters and I think the man created just an amazingly fun world to read about. I also really enjoy the adaptations of his novels because they are about as close one can get to the source material with a film adaptation of a novel. I mean they are almost 100% spot on!

Soul Music was the first of Pratchett's novels to get adapted and one, I am sad to admit, I only NOW saw. But I must say, just like all other adaptations of his work, I really enjoyed it.

Unlike The Hogfather or The Colour of Magic, this isn't a live action adaptation but an animated one. The animation is simple and, for the most part, works. However it does look a little dated and that's surprising because the book was adapted in 1997 but the animation looks more like it's from the late 70's with the small exception of the bad 3D animation integrated in a few scenes. But that doesn't take away from the suburb storytelling that takes place in a Terry Pratchett story.

The story is humorous and fun (but which of the Discworld books isn't?) as we witness the birth of rock and roll on the disc-shaped planet resting upon the shoulders of four elephants riding on top of the Great A'Tuin. The cartoon even embellishes a little more on certain concepts from the book. Mainly the comparison between The Beatles and The Band with Rocks In (that's the Discworld band that gave birth to rock and roll, with the help of music itself). It's humorous seeing the band parody The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and even the Blues Brothers. I really enjoyed when Buddy (the man who music is controlling in the story) says that The Band with Rocks In is bigger than cheeses. Say that out loud and figure out the joke.

If you like Terry Pratchett and have never seen this one, like me, check it out. It's worth it. Christopher Lee does the voice of Death (which he later reprises in The Colour of Magic) and who doesn't like Christopher Lee?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.