Monday, October 11, 2010

The Burrowers

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Burrowers - 3 out of 5

A western about monsters? I'm in.

This film had incredible potential that never really was able to deliver. The trailer sold me completely. The premise of burrowing monsters attacking settlers in the old west was a mating ground for a creepy, and possibly, action-filled movie. Add in the fact Clancy Brown (Highlander, Starship Troopers and the voice of Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob SquarePants) starred in it and I was quick to log onto Netflix and add it to the top of my queue.

Sadly, the movie never delivers on the expectations I had for it. Don't get me wrong, the movie isn't terrible, just not great.

The film's plot drags during portions of the movie and certain concepts (like a Indian tribe who knows how to deal with the creatures) isn't developed as they should be. However, the film makes some great commentary of the treatment of slaves and the Native Americans during the time period. The film also makes some fantastic points about what we are doing to the environment.

What hurts this film the most (and this was most likely due to a low budget) was the barely passable special effects. The computer effects were weak and the close up shots of the creatures point out the obvious use of puppets. These two elements are quick to throw you out of the movie. Not to mention the terrible creature design. Seriously, the design of the monsters in this movie makes no sense when you take into consideration they are burrowing creatures. I'm no biologist but if you see this movie, look at their hind legs and tell me that they wouldn't be a hindrance when digging underground.

The ending to this film, also, is one of those things that you'll either love or hate. Personally, I loved the ending. However, the ending came too late (no pun intended) to revitalize this movie. Like I said earlier, this movie had some great potential as the story was cool and the acting is decent but the potential is never fully achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.