Monday, October 11, 2010

30 Days of Night: Dark Days

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

30 Days of Night: Dark Days - 2 out of 5

I really enjoyed the first film (and the graphic novel it was based on). The concept of a group of vampires attacking an Alaskan city when they are in a month of darkness is a great idea. In the graphic novel, the art work was able to show-off a very surreal and creepy story and I felt the first film did a terrific job and recreating that vibe. Sadly, I never read the sequel but DID watch this direct to DVD adaptation.

I wasn't impressed.

Let's start with the bad. The acting is just flat out horrible. It felt like every actor showed up, phoned in their scenes and left to cash their checks. Kiele Sanchez replaces Melissa George as Stella and this recasting couldn't have been done more improperly. Sanchez mumbles every line and looks like she just woke up in every scene. In fact, every actor displays a seemingly discontent for the project and only signed on to get paid.

Then there is the story...if you can call it that. Like I said before, I didn't read the second graphic novel in the 30 Days of Night series but this story and plot in this film feels weak. All I know is that a group is formed to stop a powerful lady vampire from returning to Barrow to revisit the havoc that was raised there before. This story works for a graphic novel but barely provided 80 minutes of film.

This movie, however, was a refreshing change as vampires as of late have been...well, wimpy. You won't find thin, pale vamps sparkling in the sun in this movie. Nope, hardcore, violent and bloody vampires all around. And that, sadly, was the only thing I enjoyed about this movie and the one thing that kept it from becoming a one out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.