Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dexter Season 4

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Dexter Season 4 - 5 out of 5

Dexter is, without a doubt in my book, the greatest program that Showtime has to offer. It's the only show that continues to deliver every season. Californication turned into a lame, male version of Sex in the City. Weeds jumped the shark in season 4 by writing out some of the best characters and eliminating the essence of the very point of the show by moving the setting away from the psychotic life of suburbia. No, Dexter is the ONLY show on Showtime that, every season, can keep you hooked and keep deliver a new and fresh storyline. Now, I know those assholes at The Parent Television Council--you know those guys, they are the ones who want to tell you what CAN and CAN'T be put on TV, especially if it interferes with their Christian values. Anyway, the PTC doesn't like this show because they claim it makes you "cheer and root" for a serial killer but I don't think they've ever actually watched an entire season all the way through. I don't know about you, but I don't cheer Dexter on for a successful kill. To me the kills are just icing on the cake, there for entertainment value. No, I cheer Dexter on for keeping and maintaining the relationships in his life. In fact, that's what I like most about the show, the relationships Dexter has. Between himself and his co-workers and his family.

One of the most addicting elements in this season had to be the inclusion of John Lithgow as the Trinity Killer. When I first sat down to watch the season, I had my preconceived notices about how Lithgow would play the character but those preconceived notions were completely distroyed as Lithgow played the character in a way I was completely caught off guard. He was amazing to watch as he played the same side of a different coin that is Dexter. In fact, there interactions together were moments that television were made for.

The only real downside to this season was the inclusion of a romantic subplot involving Angel and Maria. It felt out of place and seemed to only be an excuse to cut tension from the nearly overwhelming (but in a good way) main story.

Overall, this season continues to show that Dexter has some of the best writers working on the show as they take a show, that has the very real potential to get stale by this season, and keep it entertaining and fresh. Even the ending (which I won't give away) brought character elements and stories around on itself and created an environment to keep this show going for another several seasons as it's last 3 minutes create a cornucopia of storylines for the writers to expand on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.