Monday, September 13, 2010

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - 3 out of 5

I was warned when I started this that it is bad but, shockingly, I didn't hate it. Sure there are some pretty unbearable scenes to sit through as Nicolas Cage gets into his wildman mode but that's in every Nic Cage movie. And Brad Dourif is in it and that guy is AWESOME! The story is alright (I never saw the original Bad Lieutenant--except director Werner Herzog claims this ISN'T a remake) but the real joy I got out of this was director Werner Herzog who, is without a doubt, one of my favorite directors. I like his eye and filming style and you get to see that in this movie. The way he sets up shots and the way he decided to have the film edited is like art. It is this fact and this fact alone that kept me from hating this movie. Even Nicolas Cage's over the top acting wasn't enough to make me hate this drug, corrupt cop fest. If you appreciate Herzog's style, watch it for that, not the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.