Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Stepfather 2: Make Room for Daddy

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Stepfather 2: Make Room for Daddy - 3 out of 5

If you make a horror film or a slasher pick, you are nearly 100% guaranteed to get a sequel out of the deal. Even if the movie you make is terrible, a studio--for some reason or another--will green light a second one and, sometimes, it becomes a franchise. The Stepfather, starring Terry O'Quinn got its sequel, but never its franchise. And surprisingly, this sequel isn't terrible and is about as (but not as) good as the first one. The opening scenes are really entertaining but then the film drags a little before the action picks up again. And like any other horror/slasher film sequel, this movie has more killing (but still not comparable to a Friday the 13th or Halloween movie--the good ones, not Rob Zombie abortion of a remake). The story is about the same as the first as it deals with our antagonist trying to merge himself into a fatherless family, so don't expect any surprises there. Overall, I really don't have any complaints except for the casting of Meg Foster as the woman our villain is trying to woo. Meg Foster, first off, creeps the hell out of me because of her lifeless eyes. And second of all, she will always be Evil-Lyn to me thanks to Masters of the Universe. One thing I really enjoyed about this sequel that, unlike the first film, this movie, albeit at the end, wants the viewer to feel, at least partially, sorry for Terry O'Quinn's character and I dug that. Finally, I have to mention something I found rather odd about the movie. If you watched the first one, you know the character of the Stepfather whistles "Camp Town Races" all the time. Well, in this movie, he still does it but numerous characters will talk about that song like they have no idea what it is. In fact, one character describes it as "a song I haven't heard in a long time." How does anyone not know of the song "Camp Town Races?" Anyway, that silliness behind, The Stepfather 2: Make Room for Daddy is a decent slasher film that won't blow you away but won't leave you completely disappointed either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.