Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Network

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Network 4 out of 5

"I am MAD AS HELL AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!" The famous line of Howard Beale. Over 30 years ago this movie was made and is still relevant today. A network is more concerned with sensationalism than reporting the news...hmmm, sounds like Fox. In fact, it's been years since I've seen this movie and watching it now, I now know where that blow hard; Glenn Beck, got his television persona from...Howard Beale. Beale is a complex character on the brink of madness who acts like a preacher screaming about the endtimes. Just like Beck on any given day on his show. The commentary this movie makes, not only on television but on society itself is strong and, hopefully, makes you think and have a discussion once the credits finish rolling. This movie is film making at its best and the only thing that kept me from giving it a 5 out of 5 is the fact it's not a movie you can watch often. Like I said earlier in the review, it's been over 10 years since I've seen the movie and it will probably be another 10 years before I watch it again. Also, the sound on this film isn't the best quality, so that hurt the review a little as well. And the poor sound is sad because this movie has some of the best yelling you'll ever see in a movie. Aside from Peter Finch's amazing scenes where he is yelling at the top of his lungs, Robert Duvall and Ned Beatty have some of the coolest scenes ever committed to film. Especially when Ned Beatty's character is trying to turn Beale to his cause....just pure awesome! If you've never seen this movie, I highly suggest you check it out because it is very rare that a film like this can stay relevant after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.