Monday, August 30, 2010

Da Vinci's Inquest Season 1

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Da Vinci's Inquest Season 1 - 4 out of 5

This show was recommended to me by a friend on Facebook and, since I'll pretty much give any movie or show a shot, I took the recommendation and found a really cool crime drama that is unlike any crime show you've ever seen. Let's face it, cop dramas are a dime a dozen and they are all basically the same. Same cliche characters, same cliche storylines and played out plots. Yet, for some reason, new ones are added every season. This show is nothing like that. You won't find the over-involved cop who will stop at nothing to get the case close. You won't find the struggling alcoholic cop who is dangerously close to becoming corrupt. You won't find the loose cannon cop who is always getting yelled at by the Chief. You won't find these in this crime drama because the focus is on the coroner's office. And don't think for a second you'll find a C.S.I. style show here. No witty comments before The Who kicks in. No impossible computer enhancing of photos. Nope, what this show has is realistic characters living realistic lives and working on realistic cases. What's even more amazing is that some cases and storylines will span several episodes and sometimes get pushed into the background as new storylines develop before ultimately they return. And what's even more interesting is sometimes, the show won't solve the crimes. THEY GO UNSOLVED! I've never seen that in today's shows and that is awesome. Aside from the great writing, this show highlights some fantastic acting from the title character, Dominic Da Vinci, played by Nicholas Campbell. And to make the pot even sweeter, Donnelly Rhodes, who played the amazing character of Doc Cottle in one of television's greatest shows; Battlestar Galactica, is playing backup as Det. Leo Shannon. I could go on and on about the cool characters this show has and how perfectly cast they are. There is only one low point and that is Jewel Staite playing Da Vinci's daughter. I know my fellow geeks love her from the cult show (and in my opinion, highly overrated) Firefly. But Staite is a terribly unconvincing actress who delivers every damn line with a smile. Finally, the music to the show is a little annoying with all the synthesize jazz sound it has but other than that, this show is very engaging and addicting. I look forward to the next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.