Saturday, August 14, 2010

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition - 4 out of 5

Let me start off by saying that I, 100%, believe that there is life on other planets. Honestly, I think it is foolish to think otherwise. If you're an atheist, like me, and are a student of science, then it just makes logical sense that there is life elsewhere in this amazingly vast universe. And, on the flip side, if you are a religious person, it should make sense that it is an amazing waste of space (no pun intended) to create a universe filled with billions of stars and trillions of planets and only put life on one single blue orb. I've always been fascinated with the idea that aliens exist and, as a child, my father played this movie for me and I found myself disappointed because you don't see an alien till the end of the movie, just UFO's and Richard Dreyfuss obsessing over Devil's Tower. It wasn't until recently, that I watched this edition of the movie that I truly appreciated what Steven Spielberg created. This edition comes with three versions of the movie: The Original Theatrical Version, Special Edition and Director's Cut. All three are different in slight ways but let me start off by saying the Original Theatrical Version is NOT the one to watch. Some scenes are different and are completely pointless and some scenes with the small, children-like aliens, are not well done and you can see how bad the suits are. The two to watch are the Special Edition and the Director's Cut. In fact, the Director's Cut is the best of the two because it is Spielberg's vision of what he wanted. As an adult watching this movie, I really appreciate the tale being told in this movie and the message is delivers about us not being alone in the universe and that we are all the same. The visuals delivered in this movie are awesome, especially the iconic scene where Francois Truffaut delivers the hand signals to the main alien and the alien mirrors them back and smiles. I love that scene! The only real problem I have with this movie is it tends to drag and feel too long for the story it is telling. Many of the details feel included only to extend the length of the movie. For example, Dreyfuss' family have no real point to the narrative other than to show that his character is losing his mind--but that point itself I don't think was feathered out enough. In fact, when I watch the scenes of him trying to understand what happened to his character and his family's reactions, I actual think the family is the one jumping towards insanity and projecting their feelings. It isn't until the family actually decides to leave, that I see Dreyfuss as losing his mind. So, I think they could have handled that better by making Dreyfuss go zero to crazy quicker and just losing the characters in the family all together because they feel more like set dressings than actual people in the story. Honestly, other than that, this movie is great and the day that the aliens decide to visit, you bet your ass I am playing those iconic notes to their ship so they don't destroy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.